At Neaman Plastic Surgery we pride ourselves with providing patients with the best possible care, and treating each patient with the individual attention they deserve. In an effort to further enhance efficient and superior care for patients with upper extremity issues, we have hired a Certified Hand Therapist and started Neaman Hand Therapy.
The combination of a board-certified hand surgeon working side by side with a certified hand therapist allows this higher level of care to happen.
Having a hand therapist on site allows for daily communication between the surgeon, therapist and patient regarding the patient’s diagnosis, surgical procedures (if any), rehabilitation progress and any concerns they may have.
Cris Alba, MPT, CHT has been a hand therapist in the Salem and Albany area for the last 15 years. She has built a solid reputation as being a very effective and compassionate therapist. After sending our patients to numerous hand therapists over the past several years, we quickly noticed that the results and patient feedback we received about Cris was always amazing. Because of this, we decided to bring her on as lead therapist at Neaman Hand Therapy.
What Does it Take to Become a Certified Hand Therapist?
- Must be a licensed PT or OT for 5 years
- Complete 4000 hours of upper extremity therapy
- Pass a comprehensive national board exam
Non-Surgical Hand therapists also treat a variety of non-surgical conditions such as:
- Arthritis/Joint pain
- Repetitive strain/overuse injuries
- UE weakness due to neurological pathologies
What Else Can Certified Hand Therapists Do?
- Customized splint fabrication
- Wound care
- Scar management
- Education in joint protection techniques and adaptive equipment to improve a patient’s level of function with ADLs