As we age the protective surface of our joints called cartilage begins to wear out. This cases bone to glide on bone, which may cause significant discomfort, stiffness and pain.
There are various causes of arthritis that in included:
- Post-traumatic Arthritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Salem plastic surgeons Dr. Keith C. Neaman, Dr. Dustin Christiansen, and Dr. Pete Tsai have extensive training and experience in the treatment of hand and wrist arthritis. To schedule your personal consultation, please call Neaman Plastic Surgery at 844-338-5445. There are numerous non-surgical and surgical options to help provide pain relief and increased strength.
What Are the Treatment Options?
- Steroid injections into the joint
- Oral medications (Anti-inflammatory and Asprin)
- Physical therapy
- Joint fusion
- Joint replacement;
- Joint replacement is where the abnormal bone is removed and replaced with an artificial implant which may be made out of various types of metals and plastics. The goal is to provide improved motion with decreased pain.
The potential benefits of surgery vary depending on what is performed, however may include:
- Reduction of pain
- Improvement of joint motion
- Improvement of joint alignment
Hand and Wrist Arthritis Surgery Consultation
To learn more about non-operative and surgical treatments for hand and wrist arthritis, please contact Neaman Plastic Surgery for your personal consultation. We welcome hand surgery patients from the greater Portland, Salem, and Eugene, Oregon, areas.